Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Make Your Voice Heard!


Did you vote today? I did. If you are a US citizen eligible to vote, I hope you did too. If you didn't, you have NO BUSINESS complaining about your government, be it local, state or national.

Okay, now for some knitting related content. About three weeks ago, I woke up with a muscle spasm in my neck that made knitting wonderfully painful. I did make a couple Cof attempts to knit through the pain, since I was facing my ISE3 deadline of 1 November. But my doctor told me to stop knitting for a couple of weeks, as it was exacerbating the problem. Stop knitting? But I have a deadline to meet! Oh well, s*** happens! Anyway, I am now knitting again, but I still need to limit how long at one time that I work. As a result, I haven't yet finished the scarf, but I do have about 45 inches completed (I'll post pix when it's done).

DH's scarf
did get finished before my hiatus; here he is, proudly modeling it, and a closeup of the stitch pattern:

Had the opportunity to meet and talk with Cheryl Oberle last night at one of our local Barnes & Noble bookstores. They were having a "Knit with Cheryl Oberle" night, and she had signed copies of her books for people to purchase. I already owned Folk Shawls , so I took it along for her to sign, and I purchased Folk Vests while I was there. Cheryl was wonderfully friendly and down-to-earth, and I really enjoyed speaking with her. She even gave me some great tips for avoiding seaming in garments that are not made circularly in one piece. For example, instead of sewing side seams in a sweater, you can pick up stitches along the selvages of the front and back pieces, and then do a 3-needle bind-off on each side. I don't think I would ever have thought of that! Cheryl is working on her third book, this time about jackets, which is to be published in Fall 2008. I know I'll be wanting to add it to my knitting library!

1 comment:

Bev said...

and he looks very festive in the scarf!! (and I agree, fringe is just WRONG!!)

Hope the neck continues to get better....don't over do just because you feel a little better!!!

Perhaps after yesterday we will see something amazing happen in Washington.....some REAL work get done (or not!)